Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 09:27:20AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2024-05-18 10:59:47 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I agree the impact of performance improvements are often greater than
> > the average release note item.  However, if people expect Postgres to be
> > faster, is it important for them to know _why_ it is faster?
>
> Yes, it very often is. Performance improvements typically aren't "make
> everything 3% faster", they're more "make this special thing 20%
> faster". Without know what got faster, users don't know if
> a) the upgrade will improve their production situation
> b) they need to change something to take advantage of the improvement

You might have seen in this thread, I do record commits that speed up
workloads that are user-visible, or specifically make new workloads
possible.  I assume that covers the items above, though I have to
determine this from the commit message.

> > On the flip side, a performance improvement that makes everything 10%
> > faster has little behavioral change for users, and in fact I think we
> > get ~6% faster in every major release.
>
> I cannot recall many "make everything faster" improvements, if any.
>
> And even if it's "make everything faster" - that's useful for users to know,
> it might solve their production problem!  It's also good for PR.

Again, it is down to having three goals for the release notes, and #1 is
having it readable/short, and 2 & 3 are for PR and acknowledging authors.

> Also, the release notes are also not just important to users. I often go back
> and look in the release notes to see when some some important change was made,
> because sometimes it's harder to find it in the git log, due to sheer
> volume. And even just keeping up with all the changes between two releases is
> hard, it's useful to be able to read the release notes and see what happened.

Well, I would say we need some _other_ way to record and perhaps
advertise such changes.

> > > For another, it's also very frustrating for developers that focus on
> > > performance. The reticence to note their work, while noting other, far
> > > smaller, things in the release notes, pretty much tells us that our work isn't
> > > valued.
> >
> > Yes, but are we willing to add text that every user will have to read
> > just for this purpose?
>
> Of course it's a tradeoff. We shouldn't verbosely note down every small
> changes just because of the recognition, that'd make the release notes
> unreadable. And it'd just duplicate the commit log. But that's not the same as
> defaulting to not noting performance improvements, even if the performance
> improvement is more impactful than many other features that are noted.

Again, see above, I do mention performance improvements, but they have
to be user-visible or enable new workloads.