Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May  9, 2024 at 06:53:30PM +0800, jian he wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 12:04 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > I have committed the first draft of the PG 17 release notes;  you can
> > see the results here:
> >
> >         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-17.html
> >

> * Add function pg_buffercache_evict() to allow shared buffer eviction
> (Palak Chaturvedi, Thomas Munro)
> * This is useful for testing.
>
> this should put it on the section
> < E.1.3.11. Additional Modules
> ?

Oh, it is in the pg_buffercache module --- I should have realized that
from the name, fixed.

> Then I found out official release notes don't have <section> attributes,
> so it doesn't matter?

Uh, what are sections?  Did previous release notes have it?

> I think this commit title "Add hash support functions and hash opclass
> for contrib/ltree."
>  from [1] is more descriptive.

Uh, I don't think people know what hash support functions are, but they
know what hash indexes are, and maybe hash joins and hash aggregates.
Why do you consider the commit text better?

> i am not 100% sure of the meaning of "This is useful for extensions."

The commit says:

    commit 2b5154beab7
    Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
    Date:   Fri Oct 20 12:28:38 2023 -0400

        Extend ALTER OPERATOR to allow setting more optimization attributes.

        Allow the COMMUTATOR, NEGATOR, MERGES, and HASHES attributes to be set
        by ALTER OPERATOR.  However, we don't allow COMMUTATOR/NEGATOR to be
        changed once set, nor allow the MERGES/HASHES flags to be unset once
        set.  Changes like that might invalidate plans already made, and
        dealing with the consequences seems like more trouble than it's worth.
-->        The main use-case we foresee for this is to allow addition of missed
-->        properties in extension update scripts, such as extending an existing
-->        operator to support hashing.  So only transitions from not-set to set
        states seem very useful.