Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 03:24:58PM +0100, Wolfgang Walther wrote:
> Bruce Momjian:
> > I guess we could conditionally exec only if we find we must, but then
> > such exec cases would be rare and rarely tested.
>
> I think you might be seriously underestimating how often musl is used.
> Alpine Linux uses musl and is very widespread in the container world because
> of smaller image size.
>
> The library/postgres docker image has been pulled about 8 billion times
> since 2014 [1]. While we can't really tell how many of those pulled the
> alpine variant of the image, comparing the alpine [2] and ubuntu/debian
> [3,4] base images gives a rough estimate of >50% using alpine in general.

Uh, what is the current behavior of Postgres on musl?  It just fails if
the process title is longer than argv[0] plus the environment space to
the LD_ environment variable, and then linking fails for certain
extensions?  If there are many downloads, why would we only be getting
this report now?