Re: BUG #18314: PARALLEL UNSAFE function does not prevent parallel index build - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: BUG #18314: PARALLEL UNSAFE function does not prevent parallel index build
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 06:01:50PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Sure, but the current patch just trades one set of errors for others.
> As I said, if we care about this problem then the right fix will
> involve serializing/deserializing already-const-folded expression
> trees instead of expecting that the workers can regenerate those.
> I don't personally think it's worth the trouble, especially not if
> we can get rid of the need for exception-using functions to be marked
> parallel unsafe.

I don't know if that's worth tackling either.  It sounds like this is
just something we should do only if someone comes up with a good use
case for it, outside of the subtransaction handling in the workers.

Anyway, I've just reverted the change for now.
--
Michael

Attachment