Re: BUG #18274: Error 'invalid XML content' - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: BUG #18274: Error 'invalid XML content'
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 08:59:26AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> This one had better be done first because it is required by your
> original issue, and that's what could make the buildfarm shaky.
>
> I have checked the other XML calls in the tree and did not spot
> anything else that ought to be changed, so I have extracted this stuff
> from your v2 and applied it on HEAD.  Let's see how it goes.

The security team has discussed 2197d06224a1 after a report from
coverity regarding the effects that issues like [1] would create in
the backend, and concluded that this patch should be reverted because
this could cause the backend to waste plently of CPU and/or memory
even if the application applied checks on the size of the data given
in input, and libxml2 does not offer guarantees that input limits are
respected under XML_PARSE_HUGE.

So I am planning to do do so in the next 24 hours.  Note that this
does not impact 65c5864d7fac, as XML_PARSE_NOENT is an immediate
substitute of xmlSubstituteEntitiesDefault().

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billion_laughs_attack
--
Michael

Attachment