Re: missing requirement on ccache in postgresql16-devel - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: missing requirement on ccache in postgresql16-devel
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 01:21:44PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 11:25:15AM -0400, Greg Hennessy wrote:
> >> The file /usr/pgsql-16/lib/pgxs/src/Makefile.global has a reference
> >> to ccache but the rpm doesn't list this as a dependency. I would like
> >> to submit that it is a bug that it does not.
>
> > Uh, ccache is an _optional_ way to speed up compilation.  It is not a
> > requirement/dependency.
>
> Yeah, but if the Makefile says "CC = ccache gcc" then anybody
> trying to build under PGXS will fail if they don't have ccache
> installed.  So I think Greg has a point.

Well, the question is where can we see this file,
/usr/pgsql-16/lib/pgxs/src/Makefile.global?  Who created it?  What does
it contain?

Mine is built from Makefile.global.in, and has:

    CC = ccache gcc

but I define CC='ccache gcc' before I run autoconf.

> On typical Red Hat setups, it's not necessary to mention ccache
> explicitly to use it; instead that's managed via PATH.  For
> example, I have
>
> $ which gcc
> /usr/lib64/ccache/gcc
>
> $ ls -l /usr/lib64/ccache/gcc
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 16 May 21 09:35 /usr/lib64/ccache/gcc -> ../../bin/ccache

Oh, I have not done that.  I like to know when ccache is being used.