Re: The documentation for storage type 'plain' actually allows single byte header - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: The documentation for storage type 'plain' actually allows single byte header
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 09:48:05PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here is the original thread from pgsql-docs:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/167336599095.2667301.15497893107226841625%40wrigleys.postgresql.org
>
> The report is about single-byte headers being used for varlena values
> with PLAIN storage.
>
> Here is the reproducible report:
>
>     CREATE EXTENSION pageinspect;
>     CREATE TABLE test(a VARCHAR(10000) STORAGE PLAIN);
>     INSERT INTO test VALUES (repeat('A',10));
>
>     Now peek into the page with pageinspect functions
>
>     SELECT left(encode(t_data, 'hex'), 40) FROM
>     heap_page_items(get_raw_page('test', 0));
>
>     This returned value of "1741414141414141414141".
>     Here the first byte 0x17 = 0001 0111 in binary.
>     Length + 1 is stored in the length bits (1-7). So Len = 0001011-1 = (11-1)
>     [base-10] = 10 [base-10]
>     which exactly matches the expected length. Further the data "41" repeated 10
>     times also indicates character A (65 or 0x41 in ASCII) repeated 10 times.
>
> I researched this and thought it would be a case where we were lacking a
> check before creating a single-byte header, but I couldn't find anything
> missing.  I think the problem is that the _source_ tupleDesc attstorage
> attribute is being used to decide if we should use a short header, while
> it is really the storage type of the destination that we should be
> checking.  Unfortunately, I don't think the destination is accessible at
> the location were we are deciding about a short header.
>
> I am confused how to proceed.  I feel we need to fully understand why
> this happening before we adjust anything.  Here is a backtrace --- the
> short header is being created in fill_val() and the attstorage value
> there is 'x'/EXTENDED.

I did some more research.  It turns out that the source slot/planSlot is
populating its pg_attribute information via makeTargetEntry() and it
has no concept of a storage type.

Digging further, I found that we cannot get rid of the the use of
att->attstorage != TYPSTORAGE_PLAIN in macros ATT_IS_PACKABLE and
VARLENA_ATT_IS_PACKABLE macros in src/backend/access/common/heaptuple.c
because there are internal uses of fill_val() that can't handle packed
varlena headers.

I ended up with a doc patch that adds a C comment about this odd
behavior and removes doc text about PLAIN storage not using packed
headers.