Re: Performance issue with thousands of calls to procedures and functions? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Daniel Westermann (DWE)
Subject Re: Performance issue with thousands of calls to procedures and functions?
Date
List pgsql-performance
>In your example, the bottleneck is calling the function f1. So you need to check only this function. It is not
importantif other functions or >procedures do database lookups.

>Or if it does just one database lookup, then you can use SQL language. I repeat, PL/pgSQL is not good for ultra very
frequentcalls (where >there is minimal other overhead).

>Generally, start of function or start of query are more expensive on Postgres than on Oracle. Postgres is much more
dynamic,and it needs >to do some rechecks. The overhead is in nanoseconds, but nanoseconds x billions are lot of
seconds

Thank you Pavel, for all the information. That was very helpful.

Regards
Daniel