Re: ALTER TABLE SET ACCESS METHOD on partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE SET ACCESS METHOD on partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 02:56:28PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Hmm.  This is a good point.  It is true that the patch feels
> incomplete on this side.  I don't see why we could not be flexible,
> and allow a value of 0 in a partitioned table's relam to mean that we
> would pick up the database default in this case when a partition is
> is created on it.  This would have the advantage to be consistent with
> older versions where we fallback on the default.  We cannot be
> completely consistent with the reltablespace of the leaf partitions
> unfortunately, as relam should always be set if a relation has
> storage.  And allowing a value of 0 means that there are likely other
> tricky cases with dumps?
>
> Another thing: would it make sense to allow an empty string in
> default_table_access_method so as we'd always fallback to a database
> default?

FYI, I am not sure that I will be able to look more at this patch by
the end of the commit fest, and there are quite more points to
consider.  Perhaps at this stage we'd better mark it as returned with
feedback?  I understand that I've arrived late at this party :/
--
Michael

Attachment