Re: Add pg_walinspect function with block info columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Add pg_walinspect function with block info columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 05:00:25PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> I think that we should also make the description output column display
> NULLs for those records that don't output any description string. This
> at least includes the "FPI" record type from the "XLOG" rmgr.
> Alternatively, we could find a way of making it show a description.

An empty StringInfo is sent to rm_desc, so hardcoding something in
pg_walinspect to show some data does not look right to me.  Saying
that, using NULL when there is no description is OK by me, as much as
is using an empty string because it maps with the reality of the empty
StringInfo sent to the rm_desc callback.
--
Michael

Attachment