Re: Reconcile stats in find_tabstat_entry() and get rid of PgStat_BackendFunctionEntry - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Reconcile stats in find_tabstat_entry() and get rid of PgStat_BackendFunctionEntry
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 02:13:45PM +0100, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> On 3/16/23 12:46 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> There is no trace of them.
>> Perhaps the ones exposted through pg_stat_xact_all_tables are fine if
>> not listed.
>
> I'd be tempted to add documentation for all of them, I can look at it.

I am not sure that there is any need to completely undo ddfc2d9, later
simplified by 5f2b089, so my opinion would be to just add
documentation for the functions that can be used but are used in none
of the system functions.

Anyway, double-checking, I only see an inconsistency for these two,
confirming my first impression:
- pg_stat_get_xact_blocks_fetched
- pg_stat_get_xact_blocks_hit

There may be a point in having them in some of the system views, but
the non-xact flavors are only used in the statio views, which don't
really need xact versions AFAIK.  I am not sure that it makes much
sense to add them in pg_stat_xact_all_tables, either.  Another view is
just remove them, though some could rely on them externally.  At the
end, documenting both still sounds like the best move to me.
--
Michael

Attachment