Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 08:51:47PM -0700, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> Are there any concerns with simply expanding AclMode to 64 bits, as done in
> v5 [0]?
>
> [0] https://postgr.es/m/20220908055035.GA2100193%40nathanxps13

I have gone through the thread, and I'd agree with getting more
granularity when it comes to assigning ACLs to relations rather than
just an on/off switch for the objects of a given type would be nice.
I've been looking at the whole use of AclMode and AclItem in the code,
and I don't quite see why a larger size could have a noticeable
impact.  There are a few things that could handle a large number of
AclItems, though, say for array operations like aclupdate().  These
could be easily checked with some micro-benchmarking or some SQL
queries that emulate a large number of items in aclitem[] arrays.

Any impact for the column sizes of the catalogs holding ACL
information?  Just asking while browsing the patch set.

Some comments in utils/acl.h need a refresh as the number of lower and
upper bits looked at from ai_privs changes.
--
Michael

Attachment