Re: (doc patch) psql version compatibility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: (doc patch) psql version compatibility
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Tom Lane
> Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
> > I didn't understand the current wording of the NOTES section in
> > psql(1) on which major versions psql is compatible with, so here's a
> > patch to make that more explicit.
>
> This seems both very repetitive and incorrect in detail.

Meh, I tried to preserve as much of the original text as reasonable,
but we can strip it down further.

> Some operations will work fine with older servers, some won't.
> I don't think that we want to undertake documenting exactly
> which commands work how far back, so my inclination is to
> add a nonspecific disclaimer along the lines of
>
>    Some commands may not work with very old servers (before 9.2).

I'd like it do say "it works with 9.2" when that's what the code is
implementing.

How about this?

      <para><application>psql</application> works with servers of the same
       or an older major version, back to 9.2. The general
       functionality of running SQL commands and displaying query results
       should also work with servers of other major versions, but
       backslash commands are particularly likely to fail.
      </para>
      <para>
       If you want to use <application>psql</application> to connect to several
       servers of different major versions, it is recommended that you use the
       newest version of <application>psql</application>.  (To connect to pre-9.2 servers,
       use <application>psql</application> 14 or earlier.)
      </para>

Christoph

Attachment