Re: pg15b2: large objects lost on upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg15b2: large objects lost on upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul  7, 2022 at 01:38:44PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 1:10 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> > Maybe it's a good idea to check that the file is empty before unlinking...
>
> If we want to verify that there are no large objects in the cluster,
> we could do that in check_new_cluster_is_empty(). However, even if
> there aren't, the length of the file could still be more than 0, if
> there were some large objects previously and then they were removed.
> So it's not entirely obvious to me that we should refuse to remove a
> non-empty file.

Uh, that initdb-created pg_largeobject file should not have any data in
it ever, as far as I know at that point in pg_upgrade.  How would values
have gotten in there?  Via pg_dump?

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson