Re: Breakage: pgbouncer has changed the user under which it runs between 1.16.1 and 1.17.0 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Breakage: pgbouncer has changed the user under which it runs between 1.16.1 and 1.17.0
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Tomas Pospisek
> indeed my /etc/default/pgbouncer contains `RUNASUSER="pgbouncer"`. I do set
> that explicitly via ansible. However I'm not sure where that line originated
> from. I am quite sure that it's not me who came up with the idea of running
> the daemon as `pgbouncer`, but instead that came from the package (which
> package - if from Debian or from pgdg - I don't know I would have to dig
> further, but maybe I could figure it out).

Hi Tomas,

It's true that the upstream pgbouncer default is to use "pgbouncer"
instead of "postgres", but Debian's /etc/init.d/pgbouncer has had
RUNASUSER="postgres" since 2012, and /etc/default/pgbouncer has not
been changed since 2008.

> So what is happening after the introduction of the `.service` file is that
> either `/etc/default/pgbouncer` is now beeing ignored or it is being
> overriden. That breaks installations that had `RUNASUSER="pgbouncer"` set in
> `/etc/default/pgbouncer` when upgrading to 1.17.x.
>
> Do you concur with that conclusion?

Yes, but TBH I'd rather not reintroduce the usage of /etc/default in a
.service file when everyone else is moving away from that schema.

To override the settings from the package .service file, do this:

/etc/systemd/system/pgbouncer.service.d/user.conf:
[Service]
User=pgbouncer

Christoph