Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 09:14:03AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I don't know what you mean by this. I think the specification stuff
> could be reused in a lot of places. If you can ask for a base backup
> with zstd:level=3,long=1,fancystuff=yes or whatever we end up with,
> why not enable exactly the same for every other place that uses
> compression? I don't know what "client-server requirements" is or what
> that has to do with this.

Oh. I think that I got confused here.  I saw the backup component in
the file name and this has been associated with the client/server
choice that can be done in the options of pg_basebackup.  But
parse_bc_specification() does not include any knowledge about that:
pg_basebackup does this job in parse_compress_options().  I agree that
it looks possible to reuse that stuff in more places than just base
backups.
--
Michael

Attachment