Re: adding 'zstd' as a compression algorithm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: adding 'zstd' as a compression algorithm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 06:24:13PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> For backups it's pretty obviously zstd imo. At the lower levels it achieves
> considerably higher compression ratios while still being vastly faster than
> gzip. Without even using the threaded compression support the library has.

Noted.

> For something like wal_compression it'd be a harder question.

FWIW, I have done some measurements for wal_compression with zstd, as
of:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/YMmlvyVyAFlxZ+/H@paquier.xyz

The result is not surprising, a bit more CPU for zstd with more
compression compared to LZ4, both outclassing easily zlib.  I am not
sure which one would be more adapted as default as FPI patterns depend
on the workload, for one, and this is just one corner case.
--
Michael

Attachment