Re: pgsql: Support "postgres -C" with runtime-computed GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pgsql: Support "postgres -C" with runtime-computed GUCs
Date
Re: pgsql: Support "postgres -C" with runtime-computed GUCs
List pgsql-committers
On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 08:20:40PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> So the problem is that -C data_checksums requires permissions to be dropped,
> but the way it's invoked here that's not guaranteed... And I don't think we
> should remove that requirement, given that we're actually doing stuff to the
> lock file...

Hmm.  One way I can think of to keep the test would be something like
that to avoid problems with pg_ctl redirecting the server's stderr to
stdout (hence the tweak for log_min_messages):
pg_ctl start -s -o '-C data_checksums -c log_min_messages=fatal'

This would print the parameter, while getting to stderr mostly a
"could not start server".  Would that work for you?
--
Michael

Attachment