RE: Error message restarting a database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Begin Daniel
Subject RE: Error message restarting a database
Date
List pgsql-general
-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver [mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2019 16:52
To: Begin Daniel
Cc: pgsql-general
Subject: Re: Error message restarting a database

On 1/27/19 1:38 PM, Begin Daniel wrote:
> [...]
directory: K:\pgsqlData\PG_9.3_201306121\18364

>> The directory exists with 888 items in it, but there is no file named PG_VERSION
>>

> Are all the tablespaces connected to a single Postgres instance?
>
> Are you still using Postgres 9.3?
>
> Does the  Postgres top level data directory still exist?
>

> Right, not a good day ;-)
> - All tablespaces are connected to a single Postgres database instance
> - I am still using Postgres 9.3 since I did not change anything related to PostgreSQL since I shut down the server a
yearago

> - I am not sure what you mean by top level directory.

PGDATA from here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/storage-file-layout.html

I am going to say PGDATA exists given the below.

> I am using PgAdmin to access my PostgreSQL databases. I can access the default database (postgres), tablespace
definitions,group roles and login roles. The other database instance I have is the one that send me error messages.

To be clear you are running only one instance(cluster) of Postgres and
that instance has several databases defined in it, correct?

If you go to PGDATA.pg_tblspc  do you have links to the tablespaces?

I only installed one instance of Postgres on my PC, which I use to manage two databases (postgres and osmdump). osmdump
isthe database that complains.

Regarding the links to the tablespaces, I first ran the following request.
SELECT spcname FROM pg_tablespace; and got the following list.
"pg_default"
"pg_global"
"workspace"
"datadrive1"
"datadrive2"
"datadrive3"
"datadrive0"

I went to E:\pgsqlData\pg_tblspc and found the links to the five last tablespaces above (I manually created them, the
firsttwo were created when I installed Postgres).

E:\pgsqlData\pg_tblspc \113608\PG_9.3_201306121\18364 link to the 888 items mentioned previously (physically stored in
K:\pgsqlData\pg_tblspc...)
I also found a PG_VERSION file in E:\pgsqlData. The file contains the value 9.3

Daniel