Re: Can a child process detect postmaster death when in pg_usleep? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Can a child process detect postmaster death when in pg_usleep?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 08:21:06PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> The recoveryWakeupLatch and procLatch/MyLatch are being used for WAL
> replay and recovery conflict, respectively. Actually, I was earlier
> using procLatch/MyLatch, but came across the commit 00f690a23 which
> says that the two latches are reserved for specific purposes. I'm not
> quite sure which one to use when do_pg_stop_backup is called by the
> startup process. Any thoughts?

Could you explain why you think dp_pg_stop_backup() can be called by
the startup process?  AFAIK, this code path applies to two categories
of sessions:
- backend sessions, with the SQL functions calling this routine.
- WAL senders, aka anything that connects with replication=1 able to
use the BASE_BACKUP with the replication protocol.

> Thanks. Please let me know if there are any comments on
> v1-0001-Use-a-WaitLatch-for-lock-waiting-in-lazy_truncate.patch.

Applied this one as that's clearly a win.  The event name has been
renamed to VacuumTruncate.
--
Michael

Attachment