Re: Teach pg_receivewal to use lz4 compression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Teach pg_receivewal to use lz4 compression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 02:10:17PM +0000, gkokolatos@pm.me wrote:
> Micheal suggested on the same thread to move my entry in the help output so that
> the output remains ordered. I would like the options for the compression method and
> the already existing compression level to next to each other if possible. Then it
> should be either 'X' or 'Y'.

Hmm.  Grouping these together makes sense for the user.  One choice
that we have here is to drop the short option, and just use a long
one.  What I think is important for the user when it comes to this
option is the consistency of its naming across all the tools
supporting it.  pg_dump and pg_basebackup, where we could plug LZ4,
already use most of the short options you could use for pg_receivewal,
having only a long one gives a bit more flexibility.
--
Michael

Attachment