Re: Teaching users how they can get the most out of HOT in Postgres 14 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Teaching users how they can get the most out of HOT in Postgres 14
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 06:12:18PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> One of the dangers of high BYPASS_THRESHOLD_PAGES settings is that
> it'll work well for some indexes but not others. To a dramatic degree,
> even.
>
> That said, nbtree isn't the only index AM, and it is hard to be
> completely sure that you've caught everything. So an off switch seems
> like a good idea now.

Whatever the solution chosen, the thing I can see we agree on here is
that we need to do something, at least in the shape of an on/off
switch to have an escape path in case of problems.  Peter, could we
get something by beta1 for that?  FWIW, I would use a float GUC to
control that, and not a boolean switch, but I am just one voice here,
and that's not a feature I worked on.
--
Michael

Attachment