Re: pgsql: Move tablespace path re-creation from the makefiles to pg_regres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pgsql: Move tablespace path re-creation from the makefiles to pg_regres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 10:36:10PM -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
> Christoph Berg's first message on this thread reported doing that.  If
> supporting server_user!=pg_regress_user is unwarranted and Christoph Berg
> should stop, then already-committed code suffices.

Not sure that we have ever claimed that.  It is unfortunate that this
has broken a case that used to work, perhaps accidentally.  At the
same time, Christoph has a workaround for the Debian suite, so it does
not seem like there is anything to do now, anyway.

> The race that commit 6c788d9 fixed is not inherent to Makefile rules.  For
> example, you could have instead caused test.sh to issue 'make
> installcheck-parallel TABLESPACEDIR="$outputdir"/testtablespace' and have the
> makefiles consult $(TABLESPACEDIR) rather than hard-code ./testtablespace.
> (That said, I like how 6c788d9 consolidated Windows and non-Windows paths.)

FWIW, I don't really want to split again this code path across
platforms.  Better to have one to rule them all.

> I don't know.  I never considered server_user!=pg_regress_user before this
> thread, and I don't plan to use it myself.  Your latest patch originated to
> make that case work, and my last message was reporting that the patch works
> for a rather-narrow interpretation of server_user!=pg_regress_user, failing on
> variations thereof.  That might be fine.

Okay.  So..  As I am not sure if there is anything that needs to be
acted on here for the moment, I would just close the case.  If there
are more voices in favor of the SQL function using mkdir(), I would
not object to use that, as that looks to work for all the cases where
pg_regress is used.
--
Michael

Attachment