Re: Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"—and the mental model that underlies it all - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"—and the mental model that underlies it all
Date
In response to Re: Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"—and the mental model that underlies it all  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Responses Re: Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"—and the mental model that underlies it all  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 09:57:50PM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 10/26/22 18:33, Bryn Llewellyn wrote:
> > The descriptive designation "the role that owns the SQL part of the
> > implementation of PostgreSQL" is too much of a mouthful for daily use.
> >  And anyway, this notion captures only part of the story that makes
> > "postgres" uniquely what it is—at least on Ubuntu.
> >
> > MORE...
> >
> > Here's what my empirical observations told me:
> >
> > It's easy to characterize this role by describing the way that you get
> > it and the conspicuous unique emergent properties that it has.
> >
> > * You specify its name using the flag that's shown thus in response to
> > "initdb —help"
> >
> >    -U, --username=NAME       database superuser name
>
> How much time would it have taken to go to the docs?:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-initdb.html

I know I am replying late here, but isn't it the database _cluster_
superuser?

Embrace your flaws.  They make you human, rather than perfect,
which you will never be.