Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 03:19:17PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Attached is an alternative that does not sacrifice the pluggability of
> the existing routines while allowing 0003~ to still use them (I don't
> really want to move around the checks on the supported build options
> now in parse_compress_specification(), that was hard enough to settle
> on this location).  On top of that, pg_basebackup is able to cope with
> the case of --compress=0 already, enforcing "none" (BaseBackup could
> be simplified a bit more before StartLogStreamer).  This refactoring
> shaves a little bit of code.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that this refactoring would
treat things like server-N, client-N as valid grammars (in this case N
takes precedence over an optional detail string), implying that N = 0
is "none" and N > 0 is gzip, so that makes for an extra grammar flavor
without impacting the existing ones.  I am not sure that it is worth
documenting, still worth mentioning.
--
Michael

Attachment