Re: Allow file inclusion in pg_hba and pg_ident files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Allow file inclusion in pg_hba and pg_ident files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 03:56:50PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> The depth 0 is getting used quite a lot now, maybe we should have a define for
> it to make it easier to grep, like TOP_LEVEL_AUTH_FILE or something like that?
> And also add a define for the magical 10 for the max inclusion depth, for both
> auth files and GUC files while at it?

Sounds like a good idea to me, and it seems to me that this had better
be unified between the GUCs (see ParseConfigFp() that hardcodes a
depth of 0) and hba.c.  It looks like they could be added to
conffiles.h, as of CONF_FILE_START_{LEVEL,DEPTH} and
CONF_FILE_MAX_{LEVEL,DEPTH}.  Would you like to send a patch?

> The comment seems a bit ambiguous as with "loading the top..." you probably
> meant something like "loading the file in memory" rather than "(re)loading the
> configuration".  Maybe s/loading/opening/?

Right.  I have used "opening" at the end.

I have worked on all that, did more polishing to the docs, the
comments and some tiny bits of the logic, and applied both 0001 and
0002.  Now, to the tests..

> Mmm, I haven't looked deeply so I'm not sure if the perl podules are aware of
> it or not, but maybe we could somehow detect the used delimiter at the
> beginning after normalizing the directory, and use a $DELIM rather than a plain
> "/"?

I am not sure.  Could you have a look and see if you can get the CI
back to green?  The first thing I would test is to switch the error
patterns to be regexps based on the basenames rather than the full
paths (tweaking the queries on the system views to do htat), so as we
avoid all this business with slash and backslash transformations.
--
Michael

Attachment