Re: nextval parameter is not clear - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: nextval parameter is not clear
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 08:17:12AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/functions-sequence.html
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/functions-sequence.html
>
> I don't see here any hints about how to use this function, and what the
> regclass means.
> How should I understand that sequence_name should be passed as string in
> nextval('sequence_name') ?
>
> Maybe add some links to other topics or clarify examples for nextval here.

Uh, the last sentence in that section says:

    The sequence to be operated on by a sequence function is specified by a
    regclass argument, which is simply the OID of the sequence in the
    pg_class system catalog. You do not have to look up the OID by hand,
    however, since the regclass data type's input converter will do the work
    for you. See Section 8.19 for details.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson