Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 09, 2022 at 11:47:57AM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> Honestly I don't come up with other users of the new
> log-level. Another possible issue is it might be a bit hard for people
> to connect that level to huge_pages=try, whereas I think we shouldn't
> put a description about the concrete impact range of that log-level.
>
> I came up with an alternative idea that add a new huge_pages value
> try_report or try_verbose, which tell postgresql to *always* report
> the result of huge_pages = try.

Here is an extra idea for the bucket of ideas: switch the user-visible
value of huge_pages to 'on' when we are at "try" but success in using
huge pages, and switch the visible value to "off".  The idea of Justin
in [1] to use an internal runtime-computed GUC sounds sensible, as well
(say a boolean effective_huge_pages?).

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20221106130426.GG16921@telsasoft.com
--
Michael