Re: shadow variables - pg15 edition - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: shadow variables - pg15 edition
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 01:16:50PM +1300, David Rowley wrote:
> Aside from this issue, if anything I'd be keen to go a little further
> with this and upgrade to -Wshadow=local. The reason being is that I
> noticed that the const qualifier is not classed as "compatible" with
> the equivalently named and typed variable without the const qualifier.
> ISTM that there's close to as much opportunity to mix up two variables
> with the same name that are const and non-const as there are two
> variables with the same const qualifier. However, I'll be waiting for
> the dust to settle on the current flags before thinking any more about
> that.

-Wshadow=compatible-local causes one extra warning in postgres.c with
-DWRITE_READ_PARSE_PLAN_TREES:
postgres.c: In function ‘pg_rewrite_query’:
postgres.c:818:37: warning: declaration of ‘query’ shadows a parameter [-Wshadow=compatible-local]
  818 |                         Query      *query = lfirst_node(Query, lc);
      |                                     ^~~~~
postgres.c:771:25: note: shadowed declaration is here
  771 | pg_rewrite_query(Query *query)

Something like the patch attached would deal with this one.
--
Michael

Attachment