Re: Doc update for pg_stat_statements normalization - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Doc update for pg_stat_statements normalization
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 11:11:30PM +0000, Imseih (AWS), Sami wrote:
> I agree. We introduce the concept of a plannable statement in a
> previous section and we can then make this distinction in the new
> paragraph.
>
> I also added a link to pg_stat_statements_info since that is introduced
> later on int the doc.

I have reworded the paragraph a bit to be more general so as it would
not need an update once more normalization is applied to utility
queries (I am going to fix the part where we mention that we use the
strings for utilities, which is not the case anymore now):
+  <para>
+   Queries on which normalization can be applied may be observed with constant
+   values in <structname>pg_stat_statements</structname>, especially when there
+   is a high rate of entry deallocations. To reduce the likelihood of this
+   happening, consider increasing <varname>pg_stat_statements.max</varname>.
+   The <structname>pg_stat_statements_info</structname> view, discussed below
+   in <xref linkend="pgstatstatements-pg-stat-statements-info"/>,
+   provides statistics about entry deallocations.
+  </para>

Are you OK with this text?
--
Michael