Re: regarding select into - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rolf Østvik
Subject Re: regarding select into
Date
List pgsql-general
surabhi.ahuja@iiitb.ac.in ("surabhi.ahuja") wrote in

>  Hello,
>
> Is it not possible to write such an sql statement:
>
> select ser into val1, count(*) into val2 from tab1 where id = $1;
>
> do i need to perform the 2 selects separately ..wont that impact the
performance?

> in the table tab1, id is the primary key.

Pleas don't attach html to your e-mails.
(Normally you should be able to turn that functionality off).

Your question might be unclear.
I might be wrong but is it a PG/pgSQL funtion you are writing?

In that case i think you can use:

select into val1,val2 ser,count(*) from tab1 where id = $1;

(found in chapter "37.6.2 Select into" in my 7.4.2 documentation:

--
Rolf