Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randolf Richardson
Subject Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when...
Date
List pgsql-general
> Randolf Richardson Wrote:
>>         2. Moving to table spaces (PostgreSQL version 8 maybe?) rather
>> than just storing a whole bunch of files in a single directory.
Oracle's
>> implementation is nice because tables, indexes, etc., can span multiple
>> table spaces, and there are great performance optimization and
scalability
>> advantages that otherwise just aren't possible without them.  I read in
>> another thread (approx. 2 months old) earlier this evening that some
folks
>> would like to see OIDs deprecated, and if this is the case then the sub-
>> directories under "base/" will obviously need a different naming
> mechanism,
>> so instead of re-thinking this perhaps it would be a good opportunity
for
>> the PostgreSQL team to look at the possibility of implementing things
>> within table spaces.
>
> I believe this is being worked on also.

        Yes!!!!!!!  That's excellent!  I look forward to helping with testing
it on the NetWare port (and possibly FreeBSD if I ever get it running).

[sNip]
>>     A very interesting idea, but my feeling is that pure PERL is best
>> suited for dealing with flat text files.
>
> True,. and I use it for that (see my project at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/fwreport).  However the ability to take a
> similar parser and then use it to present the same information to a RDBMS
> would then provide some additional flexibility, as you could use the
RDBMS
> for managing the query interface to the files.  Not very useful if you
only
> want to see the same files the same way every time, but very useful if
you
> need to extract different information from them.
[sNip]

        Obviously there's no disagreement here from anyone about the
usefulness of this.  I guess I should have clarified a bit more in my post
because I'm concerned about PostgreSQL getting too fragmented from a
project management perspective -- it's a database engine, with many
different interfaces available, and to make it into a "Swiss Army Knife"
(or a Chinese knock-off I saw once which had even more functionality) could
result in possibly slower productivity in the long run (not to mention
greater system resource requirements, &c).

        Albeit that's only a concern -- those developers who do all the hard
work on PostgreSQL would obviously know best what the answer to this is.

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.