Re: Large objects [BLOB] again - general howto - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randolf Richardson
Subject Re: Large objects [BLOB] again - general howto
Date
List pgsql-general
[sNip]
> Here's a quick list of my experiences with BLOB's and such.
>
> Performance is just fine, I get about 1M hits a month and haven't had
> any problems. Use a BLOB if you don't need to search though the data.
> The main reason being that bytea and text types are parsed. To explain,
> your entire SQL statement has to be parsed to make sure it's valid, this
> includes you 100 meg jpeg. Slow, REAL slow.

        It appears that BLOBs are very well justified then.

> I have found that it is best to have a separate connection for BLOB's
> and one for everything else. Mind you, this is with Java, but the
> autocommit settings on the connection don't appear to be thread safe, so
> in high traffic you can accidentally cut off a transfer, or stop one
> before it ever starts.

        What is your reason for using a separate connection?

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.