Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump table order - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dmitry Samersoff
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump table order
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 13-Sep-99 Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Better idea: make pg_dump smarter, so that it sorts the tables by name
>> as far as possible without breaking inheritance and membership
>> dependencies.  It already retrieves the inheritance graph, and it could
>> certainly figure column-type dependencies too.  I don't think anyone
>> would object to producing the output in a more meaningful order, so
>> I see no need for a switch if you can make this work.
>>
>> I used to know enough about topological sorts to sketch how this ought
>> to work, but that was years ago :-(.  I do see that the simplest
>> approach to a sort comparison function, "if a depends on b then say a>b,
>> else say result of comparing name(a) and name(b)", will not work because
>> it's not transitive.
>
> I now someone fixed some of that recently, and I thought it was in 6.5.

Unfortunately not, if I use some functions in CONSTRANE clause of
CREATE TABLE, I can't restore from backup made by pg_dump.
It's nice idea always dump functions first.

---
Dmitry Samersoff, dms@wplus.net, ICQ:3161705
http://devnull.wplus.net
* There will come soft rains ...