RE: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject RE: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 28-Apr-99 Michael J Davis wrote:
> I tired but it breaks in the Postmaster and not in the backend process that
> is created for each process.

Have you tried starting the postmaster in debug mode?   From man postmaster:
      -d [debug_level]           The  optional  argument  debug_level  determines  the           amount of debugging
outputthe backend  servers  will           produce.   If debug_level is one, the postmaster will           trace all
connectiontraffic, and nothing else.   For           levels  two and higher, debugging is turned on in the
backendprocess  and  the  postmaster  displays  more           information,  including  the  backend environment and
      process traffic.  Note that if no file  is  specified           for  backend  servers  to send their debugging
output          then this output will appear on the  controlling  tty           of their parent postmaster.

There other debugging comments in this man page so you may wanna look
at it first.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore