Re: [HACKERS] OR clause status report - working - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [HACKERS] OR clause status report - working
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 01-Aug-98 Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
>> The test machine (actually my desktop) has been running the cvsup'd
>> version since I set ip up a couple of weeks ago.  The production
>> machine was running 6.3.  The INSTALL file says dumping the db wasn't
>> necessary yet I had to - it wouldn't run without it and complained
>> about the older database.  Is dumping going to be required for 6.4?
>
> Of course :)
>
> Also, things like the installation docs are the last to be updated
> before a release since they need to accurately match the actual release.
> Pretty much a waste of time in between...

Ok, that makes real good sense to me.  Just something to learn when using
a cvsup'd version as opposed to a release.

>> Also are indexes working for floats when the query uses BETWEEN?
>
> Probably. The "BETWEEN" becomes an "AND" clause.

Unfortunately I later found this:

-----
campsites=> explain select name from camps3 where lon = 83.5555;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on camps3  (cost=822.87 size=1 width=12)

EXPLAIN
campsites=>
-----

I have two or three indexes created for lon on camps3.

create index camps3_lon on camps3 (lon);
create index camps3_lon2 on camps3 (lon, float4_ops);
create index camps3_loc on camps3 (lon, lat);

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow