Picking DB interfaces - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason J. Czerak
Subject Picking DB interfaces
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I'm new to the whole linux + DB stuff.  And I reading the various news articles
and looking into what DB stupported what. and Picked PostgreSQL (mainly cuz if
it's transaction stupport).

what i'm confused about now is the best way to interface with the server.

there's ODBC, DBI, and others.

My main tools are Perl and PHP.  We will be using a combination between the 2
for a while. I think a good logical combination of the 2, you can build a very
powerfull Web system.

I would like to install a system were I can upgrade the DB server to DB2 or
Oracle with very little code re-working.  We currenly at our shop will not
need to do that kinda change for while. But we have a project that we are
working on for a client that may need a more comercial grade DB server if
PostgreSQL starts to give out (the DB server will be on a quad XEON with 16
gig's ram and a nice size RAID 5 or 10Krpm drives so it has horse power behind
the software). In the advent of the DB server becomming the bottle neck This is
the reason for a very fast Database interface....

I have been searching around the net and found very little info.. found nothing
on the pros/cons of this and that... just here. DL this file and your set kinda
thing.

I would be happy with some nice RPM's already compiled and just install and
later compile things more optimized. (just to get a feel for things ya know).

Basicly. I would love to get a nice run down  or a URL that shows the most
practical way to install the software and what exactly to DL...  I'm sure once
I got all the correct software the README's would tell the rest of the story

Again, here's what I wanna do

                                        --->Perl
PostSQL <---> Some_sort_of_interface <--|
  or                                    --->php
DB2/Oracle in the future

Thank you

--
Jason J. Czerak (Jason-Czerak@Jasnik.net)