Re: Online verification of checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Online verification of checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 12:38:30PM -0500, David Steele wrote:
> We are not just looking at one LSN value. Here are the steps we are
> proposing (I'll skip checks for zero pages here):
>
> 1) Test the page checksum. If it passes the page is OK.
> 2) If the checksum does not pass then record the page offset and LSN and
> continue.

But here the checksum is broken, so while the offset is something we
can rely on how do you make sure that the LSN is fine?  A broken
checksum could perfectly mean that the LSN is actually *not* fine if
the page header got corrupted.

> 3) After the file is copied, reopen and reread the file, seeking to offsets
> where possible invalid pages were recorded in the first pass.
>     a) If the page is now valid then it is OK.
>     b) If the page is not valid but the LSN has increased from the LSN

Per se the previous point about the LSN value that we cannot rely on.

> A malicious attacker could easily trick these checks, but as Stephen pointed
> out elsewhere they would likely make the checksums valid which would escape
> detection anyway.
>
> We believe that the chances of random storage corruption passing all these
> checks is incredibly small, but eventually we'll also check against the WAL
> to be completely sure.

The lack of check for any concurrent I/O on the follow-up retries is
disturbing.  How do you guarantee that on the second retry what you
have is a torn page and not something corrupted?  Init forks for
example are made of up to 2 blocks, so the window would get short for
at least those.  There are many instances with tables that have few
pages as well.
--
Michael

Attachment