Re: BUG #16783: pg_rewind: option -c does not work when configuration files are outside data directory - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: BUG #16783: pg_rewind: option -c does not work when configuration files are outside data directory
Date
In response to BUG #16783: pg_rewind: option -c does not work when configuration files are outside data directory  (PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 03:14:14PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> Following Fatal message is shown:
> pg_rewind: fatal: restore_command is not set in the target cluster
>
> pg_rewind looks at the postgresql.conf in /var/postgres/13/data in stead of
> the location where the configuration files reside (/etc/postgres/13/data).
> It would be nice to add an option to tell pg_rewind that configuration files
> are on a different location.

pg_rewind uses the command "postgres -C restore_command -D
DATA_FOLDER" to grab the configuration in this case (see
getRestoreCommand() in pg_rewind.c), but here you have a service
startup configuration where the logic makes use of -c
config_file=/etc/postgres/13/data/postgresql.conf, right?  Indeed, we
would need an extra option to be able to support this case and pass
down the configuration file path down to the postgres command used in
pg_rewind.  We could name this option for example --target-conf, that
can only be used when --restore-target-wal is specified.  Would you
like to write a patch?
--
Michael

Attachment