Sv: Re: Latest advice on SSD? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andreas Joseph Krogh
Subject Sv: Re: Latest advice on SSD?
Date
List pgsql-performance
På tirsdag 10. april 2018 kl. 19:41:59, skrev Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com>:

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 12:21 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> wrote:
På tirsdag 10. april 2018 kl. 04:36:27, skrev Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com>:
One of our four "big iron" (spinning disks) servers went belly up today. (Thanks, Postgres and pgbackrest! Easy recovery.) We're planning to move to a cloud service at the end of the year, so bad timing on this. We didn't want to buy any more hardware, but now it looks like we have to.

I followed the discussions about SSD drives when they were first becoming mainstream; at that time, the Intel devices were king. Can anyone recommend what's a good SSD configuration these days? I don't think we want to buy a new server with spinning disks.

We're replacing:
  8 core (Intel)
  48GB memory
  12-drive 7200 RPM 500GB
     RAID1 (2 disks, OS and WAL log)
     RAID10 (8 disks, postgres data dir)
     2 spares
  Ubuntu 16.04
  Postgres 9.6

The current system peaks at about 7000 TPS from pgbench.

With what arguments (also initialization)?

pgbench -i -s 100 -U test
pgbench -U test -c ... -t ...

-c  -t     TPS
5   20000  5202
10  10000  7916
20  5000   7924
30  3333   7270
40  2500   5020
50  2000   6417

FWIW; We're testing this: https://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/1U/1029/SYS-1029U-TN10RT.cfm
with 4 x Micron NVMe 9200 PRO NVMe 3.84TB U.2 in RAID-10:

$ pgbench -s 100 -c 64 -t 10000 pgbench
scale option ignored, using count from pgbench_branches table (100)
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: <builtin: TPC-B (sort of)>
scaling factor: 100
query mode: simple
number of clients: 64
number of threads: 1
number of transactions per client: 10000
number of transactions actually processed: 640000/640000
latency average = 2.867 ms

Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS
Mobile: +47 909 56 963