Re: Order by lower(column-alias) doesn't work... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Joseph Krogh
Subject Re: Order by lower(column-alias) doesn't work...
Date
List pgsql-general
På torsdag 28. mai 2020 kl. 15:26:42, skrev Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> writes:
> Is there a way to define "sorting-rules" on custom-types so that I can have
> ORDER BY <my_array_of_custom_types_alias> and PG will pick my custom odering?

You'd have to write your own type, which would be a lotta work :-(.

A possible partial answer is to define the composite type as

firstname citext, lastname citext, other-fields-here

and then the regular composite-type comparison rule would give you
approximately what you said you wanted ... but only approximately.

regards, tom lane

Hm, ok. I think the most non-intrusive way for me is to craft a sub-select producing the "varchar-string-flattened" so I can order by that alias.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh