Is ORDER BY in sub-query preserved when outer query is only projection? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Joseph Krogh
Subject Is ORDER BY in sub-query preserved when outer query is only projection?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi.

I have this query:

SELECT q.* FROM (
  SELECT comp.id, comp.name
  FROM company comp JOIN req r ON r.company_id = comp.id
  ORDER BY LOWER(comp.name) ASC
) AS q
ORDER BY r.status ASC

What I'm trying to do here is to order by some status (which may be only 1 of 3 values, for instance OPEN, IN_PROGRESS, CLOSED), then order by company-name so I get results for each status sorted by company-name.

Is this kind of sort stable, can I assume the pre-sorted result's order is preserved so I achieve what I want?

Thanks.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS