Fwd: Re: Can I search for an array in csf? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Vernon Wu
Subject Fwd: Re: Can I search for an array in csf?
Date
Re: Fwd: Re: Can I search for an array in csf?
List pgsql-sql

Hi, Richard,

Thanks for your response and see below.

10/21/2002 3:13:57 AM, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:

>On Friday 18 Oct 2002 1:58 pm, Vernon Wu wrote:
>> One field of a table stores an array of characters in a string fromat as
>> "a,b,c,d". Is anyway to apply a select statement without using stored
>> procedure?
>>
>> Thanks for your input.
>
>Not really,  and I can't think any way of accessing an index on this either.
>Are you sure you wanted the characters stored this way? Even if the overhead
>of a separate table isn't woth it, you might want to look into arrays and the
>intarray stuff in contrib/

The reason I use this format for an array is that the array is dynamic. I have quite few cases of this type of
situation.The

maximize length in some cases is known, is unknown in others. I have learnt the comment separated format is one way
to solve the problem. Someone also suggested to store the array as an object. I am not sure whether it works or not.
The application is written in Java, by the way.

I have taken a look at intarray by searching on the postgres.org web site as well as in google. (I use cypwin and
unable

to find the contrib directory). My impression is it isn't a standard SQL data type. And its element is integer only.

It is my first time doing DB table design. Any helps will be gracfully appreciated.

Thanks,

Vernon