RE: Support load balancing in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com
Subject RE: Support load balancing in libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear Jelte,

> With plain Postgres this assumption is probably correct. But the main reason
> I'm interested in this patch was because I would like to be able to load
> balance across the workers in a Citus cluster. These workers are all primaries.
> Similar usage would likely be possible with BDR (bidirectional replication).

I agree this feature is useful for BDR-like solutions.

> If the user takes such care when building their host list, they could simply
> not add the load_balance_hosts=true option to the connection string.
> If you know there's only one primary in the list and you're looking for
> the primary, then there's no reason to use load_balance_hosts=true.

You meant that it was the user responsibility to set correctly, right?
It seemed reasonable because libpq was just a library for connecting to server
and should not be smart.

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED