RE: POC: postgres_fdw insert batching - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com
Subject RE: POC: postgres_fdw insert batching
Date
Re: POC: postgres_fdw insert batching  (Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
From: Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com>
> On 11/24/20 9:45 AM, tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com wrote:
> > OTOH, as for the name GetModifyBatchSize() you suggest, I think
> GetInsertBatchSize may be better.  That is, this API deals with multiple
> records in a single INSERT statement.  Your GetModifyBatchSize will be
> reserved for statement batching when libpq has supported batch/pipelining to
> execute multiple INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements, as in the following
> JDBC batch updates.  What do you think?
> >

> I don't know. I was really only thinking about batching in the context
> of a single DML command, not about batching of multiple commands at the
> protocol level. IMHO it's far more likely we'll add support for batching
> for DELETE/UPDATE than libpq pipelining, which seems rather different
> from how the FDW API works. Which is why I was suggesting to use a name
> that would work for all DML commands, not just for inserts.

Right, I can't imagine now how the interaction among the client, server core and FDWs would be regarding the statement
batching. So I'll take your suggested name.

> Not sure, but I'd guess knowing whether batching is used would be
> useful. We only print the single-row SQL query, which kinda gives the
> impression that there's no batching.

Added in postgres_fdw like "Remote SQL" when EXPLAIN VERBOSE is run.

> > Don't worry about this, too.  GetMaxBulkInsertTuples() just returns a value
> that was already saved in a struct in create_foreign_modify().
> >

> Well, I do worry for two reasons.
>
> Firstly, the fact that in postgres_fdw the call is cheap does not mean
> it'll be like that in every other FDW. Presumably, the other FDWs might
> cache it in the struct and do the same thing, of course.
>
> But the fact that we're calling it over and over for each row kinda
> seems like we allow the value to change during execution, but I very
> much doubt the code is expecting that. I haven't tried, but assume the
> function first returns 10 and then 100. ISTM the code will allocate
> ri_Slots with 25 slots, but then we'll try stashing 100 tuples there.
> That can't end well. Sure, we can claim it's a bug in the FDW extension,
> but it's also due to the API design.

You worried about other FDWs than postgres_fdw.  That's reasonable.  I insisted in other threads that PG developers
careonly about postgres_fdw, not other FDWs, when designing the FDW interface, but I myself made the same mistake.  I
madechanges so that the executor calls GetModifyBatchSize() once per relation per statement.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa

Attachment