RE: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com
Subject RE: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com>
Basically you are creating a new table and loading data to it and that means you will be less likely to access those
datasoon so for such thing spoiling buffer cache may not be a good idea.

Some people, including me, would say that the table will be accessed soon and that's why the data is loaded quickly
duringminimal maintenance hours.

I was just suggesting only for experiments for identifying the root cause.

I thought this is a good chance to possibly change things better (^^).
I guess the user would simply think like this: "I just want to finish CTAS as quickly as possible, so I configured to
takeadvantage of parallelism.  I want CTAS to make most use of our resources.  Why doesn't Postgres try to limit
resourceusage (by using the ring buffer) against my will?"

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa