RE: Implement UNLOGGED clause for COPY FROM - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com
Subject RE: Implement UNLOGGED clause for COPY FROM
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> Sure, but on a daily basis, one requires only incremental WAL to
> complete the backup but in this case, it would require the entire
> database back up unless we have some form of block-level incremental
> backup method.

Regarding the backup time, I think users can shorten it by using the storage device's snapshoting (or split
mirroring?),filesystem's snapshot feature.

> OTOH, I don't deny that there is some use case with
> wal_level = 'none' for initial data loading as MySQL provides but I
> think that is a separate feature than what is proposed here (Copy
> Unlogged). It might be better if you can start a separate thread for
> that with some more details on the implementation side as well.

Yeah, the feature doesn't match the title of this thread and could confuse other readers that join later.
Nevertheless,I think MySQL's feature could be used for additional data loading as well if the user understands what
he/sheis doing.  So, we can discuss it in another thread just in case the ongoing discussion gets stuck.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa