回复: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From adherent postgres
Subject 回复: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Chris Travers
     Robertmhaas said that the project Zheap is dead(https://twitter.com/andy_pavlo/status/1590703943176589312), which means that we cannot use Zheap to deal with the issue of xid wraparound and dead tuples in tables. The dead tuple issue is not a big deal because I can still use pg_repack to handle, although pg_repack will cause wal log to increase dramatically and may take one or two days to handle a large table. During this time the database can be accessed by external users, but the xid wraparound will cause PostgreSQL to be down, which is a disaster for DBAs. Maybe you are not a DBA, or your are from a small country, Database system tps is very low, so xid32 is  enough for your database system ,  Oracle's scn was also 32bits, however, Oracle realized the issue and changed scn to 64 bits. The transaction id in mysql is 48 bits. MySQL didn't fix the transaction id wraparound problem because they think that 48 bits is enough for the transaction id. This project has been running for almost 1 year and now it is coming to an end. I strongly disagree with your idea of stopping this patch, and I suspect you are a saboteur. I strongly disagree with your viewpoint, as it is not a fundamental way to solve the xid wraparound problem. The PostgreSQL community urgently needs developers who solve problems like this, not bury one' head in the sand

Best whish

发件人: Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>
发送时间: 2022年12月1日 0:35
收件人: Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>
抄送: Chris Travers <chris@orioledata.com>; Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>; Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com>; pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org <pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org>; Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>; Fedor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru>; Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com>; Konstantin Knizhnik <knizhnik@garret.ru>; Nikita Glukhov <n.gluhov@postgrespro.ru>; Yura Sokolov <y.sokolov@postgrespro.ru>; Maxim Orlov <orlovmg@gmail.com>; Pavel Borisov <pashkin.elfe@gmail.com>; Simon Riggs <simon.riggs@enterprisedb.com>
主题: Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 8:13 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't checked the patches to see whether they look correct, and
> I'm concerned in particular about upgrade scenarios. But if there's a
> way we can get that part committed, I think it would be a clear win.

+1

--
Peter Geoghegan