Re: Postgress and MYSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ezra epstein
Subject Re: Postgress and MYSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
""Bob Powell"" <Bob@hotchkiss.org> wrote in message
> To whom it may concern:
>
> I find the recent articles in various trade publications a little
> disturbing due to the lack of PostgrSQL mention.  I continue to see
> articles about how IBM may be considering MYSQL for development an
> open_source web database.
>
> Why isn't PostgreSQL being considered or talked about by major industry
> giants?  As a DBA I know that Postgres is far superior to MYSQL but if
> the industry directs it's energies towards open-source database this
> coming year I think somehow PostgreSQL needs to be represented better.

Hear, hear!

Almost all the replies are about technical superiority.  But, as we have all
seen dozens of times over, marketing trumps technology in the marketplace.

So the only "fix" is to find vocal, clear and market-savvy evangelist(s) for
Postgres.  Doesn't even need to be technically savvy (probably helps if the
person isn't).

== Ezra Epostein.