Creation of Redundant Tables. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Israel Calderon
Subject Creation of Redundant Tables.
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello ,

I am a novice to the postgres world but am currently assisting with giving a
quick look over of a proposed db schema. I noticed something which seems
rather odd to me within the schema itself. Table A is created with its set
columns and data types, etc. Then I see Table B being created via the
following statement:

  CREATE TABLE B ( ) INHERITS (A));

I dont see the sense in having two tables with identical columns yet a
different name. Will this violate any constraints within potgres 7.3.2? Or
is this ok within the rules?

Thanks

Israel